HON PM BAINIMARAMA SPEECH AT MEETING ON AGREEMENT TO INSTITUTIONALISE PIDF
- But as Head of Government, Iwill not participate in any Forum Leader’s Meeting until the issue of the undue influence of Australia and New Zealand and our divergence of views is addressed.
- Australia and New Zealand are not island nations.
- This is not some ill-considered position based on resentment against Australia and New Zealand for their punitive attitude towards our reform programme that produced the first genuine democracy in Fijian history.
- This is not me ‘mouthing off’, as the New Zealand Prime Minister so condescendingly put it.
- we do not see Fiji’s interests reflected in the stance being taken by Australia and New Zealand.
- So much so that even major carbon emitters are complaining about Australia’s refusal to meet its international obligations.
- Australia in particular is siding with what I call the coalition of the selfish
- Those industrialised nations which are putting the welfare of their carbon polluting industries and their workers before our welfare and survival as Pacific Islanders.
- we have formed the view that at the very least, their position as full members of our island nation Forum needs to be questioned, re-examined and redefined